Thursday, February 22, 2007

A very sad girl

I was driving home tonight- listening to NPR's "All Things Considered" and they were discussing the hardship of military families who lost a loved one who was deployed. And I was so surprised when they introduced a woman named Wendy. She was a sorority sister a year or two younger than me who went to my undergrad school and then left to West Point to finish her degree and become an army officer. I don't know her that well, and haven't seen her since school, but my other sorority sisters do.
  • Wendy's picture and story

  • She was amazing in her interview. And so sad. And so deeply respectful to everybody involved in the war effort. I'm so glad I stayed late to work. I'm so glad I listened to NPR when I did. She really reminded people that whatever the people in the highest chain of command decide to do, it really affects the people and their families, the soldiers who have to carry out their orders. It must be crazy difficult for her. She also wished that everyday people had more conscious understanding of wartime and what soldiers and their families go through when they are deployed.

    No comments: