Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Chicago is the new "West Coast migration"

I am discovering a lot of my friends are returning to Chicago after leaving it for various reasons.
Some are even trying it out for the first time.
-H. and A. will be running the US operations of the family business.
-T. is returning home after his MLA is finished and his girl M. is starting a new Job with a major cultural institution.
-M. is on an urban planning internship.

I think I need to make a trip out there one day soon!

One reason to visit Chicago is to come to my alma mater, IIT on Chicago's south side and visit the Marimekko exhibit at Crown Hall, the architecture building:

http://mies.iit.edu/upcoming_events/#marimekko

Marimekko is a Finnish textile design company, famous for the much overused oversized orange poppy pattern in so many home textiles.

The IIT campus also has a new building that opened a couple of years ago designed by Rem Koolhaus that is truly entertaining to visit.

No comments: